1985 ONE CENT COIN

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, POST IT HERE. Numismatic related posts only.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
xrayman
Coin Wizz

1985 ONE CENT COIN

#1 Unread post by xrayman »

Hello to All,
Hope all is well. Its been a while. But never forget my favorite site when it comes to some extra ordinary finds..

Im going to definitely going to post a picture. Just trying to link my phone now to my PC. And that for me could be a bit crazy.
Anyway..wanted to share some weird and very interesting find to me,,well at least. I found an old;well not to old 1985 One Cent US America Coin. I found it very interesting because i could of easily mistaken it for a five cent US American coin. Strange huh???Yes because it was a 1985. Its made of some type of steel, but it doesnt stick to a magnet just like the five cent coin doesnt. Is there any history known about this 1985 penny, it is also the same identical color as a five cent coin... WILL DEFINITELY POST PHOTO SOON> NEED TO FIND A SOLUTION>

THANK ALL, WANTED TO SHARE THAT WITH ALL. I WILL GET PHOTOS OUT TO YOU REAL SOON.

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

Re: 1985 ONE CENT COIN

#2 Unread post by mhonzell »

Is it a penny that has had the cladding removed exposing the dull gray, zinc interior? Or, is it bright and shiny? Strong details, or weak? Guess I'll have to wait for the photo.
lol:
Civil War Tokens
Morgan Dollars
Ancient Coins

xrayman
Coin Wizz

#3 Unread post by xrayman »

Hello Everyone,
Getting back to the 1985 ONE CENT COIN< Here i send photos, there not one of the best as im use to send but i will try to send better ones. See if this may help me put my mine a bit to rest.

Im open to hear what you have to say.
Attachments
CAM08667.jpg
CAM08667-1.jpg
CAM08670.jpg
CAM08670-1.jpg

xrayman
Coin Wizz

#4 Unread post by xrayman »

mhonzell, it is a bit sull great, details on it are pretty good they can be read. It is not shinny at all but like i said details are pretty strong. What do you mean about zinc interior?? There is no kind of copper showing at all. Im qorking of getting better pictures, hopefully within the few minutes just waiting to transfer them into the PC.

xrayman
Coin Wizz

#5 Unread post by xrayman »

This may be a bit better to view.
Attachments
unnamed-1.jpg
unnamed-1.jpg (10.02 KiB) Viewed 3484 times
unnamed-3.jpg
unnamed-3.jpg (10.11 KiB) Viewed 3484 times

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

#6 Unread post by mhonzell »

Modern Lincoln cents (since 1982) are actually made of zinc wrapped in copper plating.

This looks like zinc. And, there are details.
So, I'd ask for two things...
1. Is it magnetic?
2. What does it weigh?

It may be a cent struck on an unplated planchet. But these errors are notoriously difficult to authenticate, especially from a photo. What you want to see is original mint luster, an absence of microscopic bumps, and a weight that is slightly below normal. In it's current state I'm not sure it would not be worth much.
Civil War Tokens
Morgan Dollars
Ancient Coins

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#7 Unread post by Daniel »

I agree with M, hard to authenticate with all the "science" experiments floating around and this coin is not in great condition. It would be a nice find if it was struck without the copper plating.

xrayman
Coin Wizz

#8 Unread post by xrayman »

HHHHmmmmm very very unusual, but for sure it does not stick to magnet, and to be exact it surely feels lighter than a one cent of that exact year. About finding an absence of microscopic bumps what is there to look for? please help me on this one. Still very curious guys.

xrayman
Coin Wizz

#9 Unread post by xrayman »

Hello all,

Wanted to know if anyone knew of a reputable company, place or someone in the New York City area that i may bring this penny for some evaluation.
Im very curious still.
Any would be greatly helpful to me. Thanks again.

PetesPockets55
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#10 Unread post by PetesPockets55 »

mhonzell wrote:Modern Lincoln cents (since 1982) are actually made of zinc wrapped in copper plating.

1. Is it magnetic?
2. What does it weigh?

It may be a cent struck on an unplated planchet. But these errors are notoriously difficult to authenticate, especially from a photo. What you want to see is original mint luster, an absence of microscopic bumps, and a weight that is slightly below normal. In it's current state I'm not sure it would not be worth much.
Someone may have done a science experimant, as Daniel said, by chemically removing the copper plating.
Please re-read mhonzell's reply especially about the weight. Weight in grams is crucial to helping with a "diagnosis".
Weight will help narrow the possibilities. You might be able to find a digital scale at coin or pawn shops or a jewelry store. (Think "weighing Gold".)
IF you are able to authenticate it would be an interesting personal find but because of the condition, not necessarily very valuable.

xrayman
Coin Wizz

#11 Unread post by xrayman »

I really haven't had the time to follow up on this one cent piece. But i will very soon. Thank you guys for the info.
And like i said. I will answer all questions when i get hands on the scale. Maybe my jewler will be able to help me on the weight issue.
I will surely update yall, thanks Mhonzell/Daniel. You guys are always a helping hand.

Paul
Master Die Variety Examiner
Master Die Variety Examiner

#12 Unread post by Paul »

mhonzell wrote:Modern Lincoln cents (since 1982) are actually made of zinc wrapped in copper plating.

1. Is it magnetic?
2. What does it weigh?

i agree,
may i ask "where" you found this cent??
C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

cwb
Coin Collector

#13 Unread post by cwb »

I run across these from time to time. Looking at the rough surface and the total lack of mint luster, I am guessing that this is not a mint error but has had the plating removed. There are a surprising number of these out there. The example below is a genuine unplated cent.