Civil War Tokens

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, POST IT HERE. Numismatic related posts only.

Moderator: Daniel

PetesPockets55
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

Re: Civil War Tokens

#31 Unread post by PetesPockets55 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:32 pm

mhonzell wrote:On the last token, you can make out a Monitor-class ironclad in the background. This token, a F-240/341a, displays the Mound City, a Union ironclad, plowing through the waters. The strike is not sharp, but you can make out the turret and cannon, a hoist on the rear deck, an access hatch and stern light pole, the flag waving proudly, and even the stacks on the foredeck.

On the reverse is a previously presented Union shield and logo. Only the date is different (1863, instead of 1864.) Interesting that the date is on the front and the back.
Well done Mark! That is interesting they would put the date on both sides.
Here is an interesting side note on ironclads. We have a family diary from the civil war. It has an entry from 1863 noting when the ship he was on passed the location where the Monitor went down off the coast of Cape Hatteras, NC. (My ancestor was on his way to the area around Port Hudson which was on the Mississippi defending the river access to Vicksburg.) It makes for interesting reading.
Attachments
MonitorBattleMar242015.jpg
The Monitor is on the left in this image. It was not sunk in battle but during a gale off Cape Hatteras.
MonitorBattleMar242015.jpg (32.44 KiB) Viewed 1479 times

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

#32 Unread post by mhonzell » Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:49 pm

I think the Mound City was a Confederate ironclad... so, I goofed on my information.
Here's a picture of the Mound City:
Mound City ironclad.JPG
The crew on the USS Monitor:
Monitor.jpg
And, the USS Casco:
Ironclad-Civil-War.jpg

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

#33 Unread post by mhonzell » Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:23 pm

Well, I'm sure you were starting to wonder... did he finally run out of tokens? Not quite. I had one more, but we had a minor interruption... my work schedule.

So, I present, without further ado, the last of my tokens. An FS-223/328a. Sorry, that's for the techie who will wonder someday how to find one of their own.
I started with a Union token that bore a strong message on preserving the flag and this last one bears a new message: "The Federal Union, It Must and Shall By Preserved." While tokens are not identified by specific errors, but instead by the die used to make them, this one has an obvious error.

On the reverse is the Army and Navy slogan, but this time the two symbols associated with those branches of the military are proudly displayed on the token. Instead of a knot in the ribbon, we have an anchor, and at the top, the shining six-pointed star.

I didn't identify the sinkers as I went along, but I'll identify this one: The Waterbury Button Company. They've been in business since 1812 and still going strong. Both General Robert E. Lee and Ulysses S. Grant wore Waterbury buttons on their uniforms when they met at Appomattox Courthouse.
When two come to an agreement.jpg
Be the first to name the error type correctly!

In the meantime, give me a few months and I'll have gathered a few more. I really like these tokens and the history behind them. Hope you've enjoyed the thread.
Attachments
FS-223-328a-63RB (2).JPG
FS-223-328a-63RB (1).JPG

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

#34 Unread post by mhonzell » Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:15 am

I couldn't resist. I came across this rather inexpensive token and it seemed to jump into my pocket. It looked nice and had a combination of dies I have not come across.

F-242/374a
Attachments
F-242-374a-62BN (2).JPG
F-242-374a-62BN (1).JPG

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#35 Unread post by Daniel » Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:30 pm

Here's a few of my favorites from the Civil War Token collection I bought.
Attachments
1863libertyunion_patriotictoken.jpg
1863washingtonandstar_patriotictoken.jpg
1864unionforever_patriotictoken.jpg

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

#36 Unread post by mhonzell » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:06 pm

Awesome tokens! :cool:
Especially the Union For Ever. Superb strike on the princess.

I am so glad to see we have like tastes in something! happydance:
Great minds think alike, and all that. The good news is I have two of the three of those. The bad news is that Washington is tough to find with a decent strike. Always seems to have a weak left side, or the die is rusty leaving 'bumps' all over the field. I will eventually find one.

Thanks for letting me know I'm not alone in the token collection.

Paul
Master Die Variety Examiner
Master Die Variety Examiner

#37 Unread post by Paul » Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:21 am

m,....d's wash. looks like a slight skew hammer k5-k11, imo
so, possibly they are all this way :dunno
C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

#38 Unread post by mhonzell » Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:38 pm

Well, d posted his Liberty/Union, so I'll throw mine out there as it is nothing new. A F-236/426a.

I moved my camera so it wasn't so horizontal. Took a bit of work to get the color back to original.
Attachments
F-236-426a-64RB (2).JPG
F-236-426a-64RB (1).JPG

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

#39 Unread post by mhonzell » Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:39 am

PALH1 wrote:m,....d's wash. looks like a slight skew hammer k5-k11, imo
so, possibly they are all this way
:agree: I've looked at quite a number of these F-119/398s and they all have that 'skewed' stamp on both the front and frequently on the back. Even the one's pictured in the reference book look that way.

This die is attributed to Emil Sigel who made a lot of dies. Bridgens and Horter were right across the street from Sigel and were known for off-center and misaligned dies. Maybe they actually made the coins from Sigel's die?

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

#40 Unread post by mhonzell » Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:15 pm

Here we have a F-196/355a, one of my few with a rarity of R3. The token is designed by Emil Sigel, who was one of the most prolific Civil War token makers. Most of his attempts display good skillfulness with almost no ornamentation. He used the 'Not One Cent' design often to give his token a better level of acceptance without conflicting with US Mint policies.

In regards to this token, you find "United States of America", "E Pluribus Unum", and an eagle, but only 12 stars indicating a Union shield on the obverse. The back is a copy of the Indian Head Cent with the addition of the word 'Not'. I really like the obverse design and would like to see it on a modern coin.

You can see Emil Sigel's initials to the left and right at the bottom of the shield. I'm curious why he put dots after the date. There is an odd die crack from the eagles head and up to the left. and if you look carefully in the fields you can make out indications of a die clash, but I don't think it is with the 'Not One Cent' reverse.
Attachments
F-196-355a-63BN (2).JPG
F-196-355a-63BN (1).JPG