Civil War Tokens

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, POST IT HERE. Numismatic related posts only.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Civil War Tokens

#101 Unread post by mhonzell »

Well, I can tell I'm starting to wear everyone down with this thread, so I'll just post a couple of tokens and go quiet for a little while.

For those Northerners who were getting fed up with those honorary Copperheads, we have a very specific message:
F-107/432a
Attachments
F-107-432-58 (1).JPG
F-107-432-58 (2).JPG
Civil War Tokens
Morgan Dollars
Ancient Coins

Paul
Master Die Variety Examiner

#102 Unread post by Paul »

m, i've seen a few of these with "traitor" on them...
was this a big problem?
....either 'refusing to fight', or 'changing sides'.
C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

#103 Unread post by mhonzell »

Copperheads were a real problem. Basically, like the Democrats of today who become war weary rather quickly and would do anything to stop the fighting so that business would get back to normal. Some were actually arrested and "deported" to the South. But, the reality is that the South didn't like them either. They were recognized as complaining business men and wouldn't fight for either side.
Attachments
civil-war-copperhead-1863-granger.jpg
Yoder6.5.jpg
Civil War Tokens
Morgan Dollars
Ancient Coins

Paul

#104 Unread post by Paul »

ty m, :thumbsup:
i like the first 'toon'

i don't recall if you told me yet......
"why", was a 'traitor' called a "copperhead"?
C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

#105 Unread post by mhonzell »

Copperheads

Copperheads were part of a radical element of the Democratic Party during the Civil War. The year before the Civil War actually erupted at Fort Sumter, the secession crisis was lead by some Democrats in the North.

What they did, or better yet what they stood for, was dismissing their own Union countrymen and Union Army, against the attack in the war with the Southern secessionist. To thoroughly understand their platform, one must understand succession and Democratic and Republican views, on the Northern side.

They got their name because they wore copper pennies that would be stamped through with a hole and pinned to their lapels identifying them as ‘Copperheads of the Peace Democrats’. The Southern leaders did not mind that the infrastructure of the Union was being beset on all sides by various political groups that opposed the war. It was a war that the Rebels were not going to win and the only hope was that the interior political atmosphere would be so troubled that the option of stopping the war was very real.

They were also known as the Peace Democrats. They were a group of people who craved peace. They were so against the war that they resisted draft laws, tried to persuade Union troops to leave the war, and blamed the war on abolitionists.

Clement L. Valladigham of Ohio was a major leader in the movement. He was in charge of the antiwar organization the Sons of Liberty. At the Democratic convention of 1864, where the influence of Peace Democrats reached its high point, Valladigham persuaded the party to adopt a platform branding the war a failure, and some extreme Copperheads plotted armed uprisings. However, George B. McClellan was somewhat pro-war and this contradiction made Lincoln’s victory in the election almost inevitable.

With the conclusion of the Civil War in 1865 the Peace Democrats were thoroughly discredited. Most Northerners believed, not without reason, that Peace Democrats had prolonged the war by encouraging the South to continue fighting in the hope that the North would abandon the struggle. The end of the Civil War meant the total disintegration of the group as a political voice of power. Only the memories of the political party remain today.
Civil War Tokens
Morgan Dollars
Ancient Coins

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

#106 Unread post by mhonzell »

Some of you may remember the prior token honoring McClellan with the 1 Cent Medal... (sarcasm)

Where here is one actually honoring five Union soldiers at Wilson's Creek Battle. Each received the Medal of Honor.
Excerpt from Nicolas Boquet, one of the medal reciepients. (Medal received in 1897.)

"We all wanted to have a whack at the Rebels before going home, and, as luck would have it, Company D, to which I belonged, along with Company E, were detailed by Lieutenant-Colonel Merritt to support Totten's Battery. This order brought us into a hand-to-hand contest with the enemy, and, although we were engaging a superior force, we four times repulsed them.

When the retreat of our forces was ordered, after General Lyon had fallen, one of the guns of Totten's Battery had been left behind, because one of its horses had been killed. Being this time on the skirmish line, I was called by the gunner of the piece to help catch a riderless horse which was galloping about the field between the lines. To catch this horse was to save the gun from falling into the enemy's hands--a most important factor in battle.
The enemy were closing in upon us, but, with the thought of saving the gun, not heeding the rain of bullets from both lines, we started after the horse, and in a short time had him. Leading him with all possible haste to the abandoned gun, we soon had him hitched to it, and away we went, following the retreating regiment, and in a short time had it safely within the lines of our army."
Attachments
F-19-396a-64 (1).JPG
F-19-396a-64 (2).JPG
Civil War Tokens
Morgan Dollars
Ancient Coins

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

#107 Unread post by mhonzell »

Last one for a while...
F-151/430a

One of my favorites by Emil Sigel. If only this had been put on the half dollars!
Attachments
F-151-430a-58 (1).JPG
F-151-430a-58 (2).JPG
Civil War Tokens
Morgan Dollars
Ancient Coins

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

#108 Unread post by mhonzell »

I haven't posted a token in a while, so thought I'd drop one in.

Another sublte message from the Copperheads on the F-118/418a. Note the North and South written on the cuffs of the two hands shaking.
Attachments
F-118-418a - 62 (1).JPG
F-118-418a - 62 (2).JPG
Civil War Tokens
Morgan Dollars
Ancient Coins

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

#109 Unread post by mhonzell »

F-168/311a

Unlike a prior cannon token that I posted, this one has cannon guts ready to fire and the cannon points a bit upwards.

(Trying to find one from the South that I can afford. lol: )
Attachments
F-168-311a-62 (1).JPG
F-168-311a-62 (2).JPG
Civil War Tokens
Morgan Dollars
Ancient Coins

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

#110 Unread post by mhonzell »

Believe it, or not... I am approaching an end to these Patriotic Civil War tokens. Those that remain are a bit out of my reach, so far and it is becoming much more difficult to find the one's I am missing.
That said, here is a F-450/471a. It is known as a Half-Store Card.

Of the three main groups of Civil War Tokens (Sutler, Store Cards, and Patriotics), the Patriotics are a bit of a collection point for all the ungrouped types. A Half-Store Card displays a patriotic device on one side and a Store Card device on the other, BUT... the Store Card side does not indicate from where it originates.

In the day, these people did not have fancy words like Pharmacy. They just called it like it was... Drugs. So, here is an advertisement for someone's drug store with a Dandelion on the obverse. What in the world do these have in common?

Dandelion Bitters were a common remedy for a number of ailments: whooping cough, liver problems, digestion, etc. Thing is... it was actually pretty effective with digestive problems and is still made today as a home remedy.
Attachments
Bissells-Girl-back.jpg
Bitters.jpg
Bitters.jpg (78.43 KiB) Viewed 3216 times
F-450-471a-63 (1).JPG
F-450-471a-63 (2).JPG
Civil War Tokens
Morgan Dollars
Ancient Coins

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

#111 Unread post by mhonzell »

Well, the topic isn't dead, I've just changed my tastes a little bit. I've started collecting some of the Store Cards, but I'm buying them raw. There are just so many of these and I want to get a number of them. A little more circulated than prior coins, here's my first Store Card:

1863 NY Store Card: Gustavus Lindenmueller : NY630AQ-3a
THE tavern owner who made over a million tokens, commonly used as streetcar fare. When the railroad company asked him to redeem them, he refused. There was no legal recourse and the fall of the token began.

(I picked up this token from Daniel's Fair and Square Coin Auction on Facebook.)
Attachments
untitled.jpg
untitled-2.jpg
Civil War Tokens
Morgan Dollars
Ancient Coins

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#112 Unread post by Daniel »

I like that token and almost bid on it. I don't know why but I like these also, there's just something about their history and designs.

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

#113 Unread post by mhonzell »

Yeah, I didn't feel good about bidding against you, but this was one I have been looking at for a while and it happened to pop up for really cheap. It's a little more worn than I like, but I couldn't complain about the price.
Civil War Tokens
Morgan Dollars
Ancient Coins

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#114 Unread post by Daniel »

I didn't think a thing about it, as long as it goes to a good home. widegrin

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

#115 Unread post by mhonzell »

Another Store Card from New York. This one made by George Glaubrecht. (NY 630BO-2a)
Attachments
NY630BO-2a (1).jpg
NY630BO-2a (2).jpg
Civil War Tokens
Morgan Dollars
Ancient Coins

PetesPockets55
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#116 Unread post by PetesPockets55 »

mhonzell wrote:Another Store Card from New York. This one made by George Glaubrecht. (NY 630BO-2a)
Another nice, interesting one.
Wadda ya think- :eureka: Could Schulze's Restaurant possibly have been German? (With the Stag bust and name like that, I'm gonna vote Yea.) :confused:

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#117 Unread post by Daniel »

I would agree with you. I wonder what everyone else would think?

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

#118 Unread post by mhonzell »

Thought I'd show that not every token is in the best of shape.

This Store Card was made by Charles D. Horter in the city of New York and is labeled as NY630M-2a. It appears to fairly circulated and probably a later die state... :l

What a mess!
Either this was a wonderful brockage and over-stamped with the One Country reverse, or a major die clash with a reconditioned One Country device. Most go with the idea that this was a die clash. In fact, there were three significant die clashes that occured with this die set. The first actually produces a fairly nice coin as it occurred early in the die's use (even though the die had already shattered.) The second clash results in a less visible indian head down in the lower legend and put the large die crack tying BROAS to the rim. The third created a second image of the O in ONE to the left of the central indian head clash. But, that didn't stop Charles from making more of these. The combination is easily found, but for some reason seldom in very good shape.

I personally love this one. This appears to be the second die clash version.
Attachments
NY630M-1a (1).jpg
NY630M-1a (2).jpg
Civil War Tokens
Morgan Dollars
Ancient Coins

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

#119 Unread post by mhonzell »

Another Store Card, this one is identified as OH160I. Made for a baker in Chillicothe, Ohio by W.K. Lanphear. Somewhat mottled in color on the Liberty side. The advertisement side is in great shape with luster and redness, but has a couple of spots.

Liberty is sporting a winged helmet (which some identify as Mercury.) A similar device was also used on Patriotic Civil War tokens. (But, based on star positions, it is not any of the five identified ones.)

Best I can tell, William was a Missouri man who enlisted as a volunteer into the infantry. He was discharged as a Captain in Ohio on Sept. 11, 1862 when the battalion was renamed as the 22nd Regiment of Ohio. He must have simply planted roots and opened shop.
Attachments
OH-160-I (1).jpg
OH-160-I (2).jpg
Civil War Tokens
Morgan Dollars
Ancient Coins

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

#120 Unread post by mhonzell »

Moving back into the Patriotic Civil War tokens, this is a F-105/355a. While it is in an uncirculated condition, some nimrod decided to poorly dip it in an attempt to clean it. Note the stains and overall "wrong" color. I wonder how long ago that happened? The stains are fairly darkened into the metal. Interestingly, the name and address of the die cutter is added below the star. Emil Sigel lived at 177 William Street in New York City (right across the street from Charles Horter! They traded dies on occasion.)

But, I really enjoy older coins and tokens bearing George Washington and did not have this one in my collection. This Washington star can also be found on some Store Cards. This one is listed as having a R-3 rating. That's not scarce, but people do not seem to let them go once found.
Attachments
F-105-355-Unc D (1).jpg
F-105-355-Unc D (2).jpg
Civil War Tokens
Morgan Dollars
Ancient Coins

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#121 Unread post by Daniel »

Nice. I think the George head tokens are just popular keepers.

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

#122 Unread post by mhonzell »

Be sure to look above the George post as I put three tokens up. Enjoy!
Civil War Tokens
Morgan Dollars
Ancient Coins

PetesPockets55
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#123 Unread post by PetesPockets55 »

And a great date to post Patriotic Tokens remembering some of our history. Really like seeing the varieties that you find with the background to go with them.

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

#124 Unread post by mhonzell »

Usually, you have to have been a sailor to remember 12/7. Were you once in the Navy?
Civil War Tokens
Morgan Dollars
Ancient Coins

PetesPockets55
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#125 Unread post by PetesPockets55 »

Mark- No, but a brother was (Vietnam) and one was in the Air Force.
That date was pegged by FDR pretty accurately. "...a date which will live in infamy". There have been some great reports the last couple of days on some of the remaining survivors of the Arizona. Very Inspiring to know their stories!!! I would like to go visit the Arizona Memorial one day.
Even though I never served in the military I have a lot of respect and regard for those who have, for a lot of reasons.
Integrity. Honesty. Commitment. A partial list of words to describe members of our armed forces. Thank you!- Cliff

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

#126 Unread post by mhonzell »

Next up, a store card from Roloff. Labeled as NY630F-2a. The difference between the -1 and -2 is where the eighth feather points. In this case, towards the letter "R", which makes it slightly more rare (R-3).
This one is in really nice shape. (In case you haven't noticed, I'm getting these raw nowadays.)

Originator of only a few patriotic Civil War tokens, he made a plethra of Civil War store cards. He seems to be responsible for a number of the oversize (24mm) planchet tokens in New York. (Of which this is one as it is slightly larger than a quarter.) It is believed he had a working relationship with Emil Sigel.
Attachments
NY630F-2a (1).jpg
NY630F-2a (2).jpg
Civil War Tokens
Morgan Dollars
Ancient Coins

PetesPockets55
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#127 Unread post by PetesPockets55 »

Very nice detail and well struck.

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#128 Unread post by Daniel »

:winnah: Very nice token!!

The images aren't too bad either widegrin

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

#129 Unread post by mhonzell »

Well, I guess it was bound to happen. I got a token that doesn't fit the category. In fact, it doesn't fit any category other than being a Merchant Token.

Classified as Miller Mich 10, this token was probably made between 1848 and 1854. After the Hard Times Token era and before the Civil War Token era. I saw the stove and fell for it. You see, D.A. Foster ran a General Store in Grand Rapids, Michigan starting in 1838 with E.G. Squier. He started making tokens as early as 1845 when he changed business partners to Thomas Parry. In 1855, Parry retired and Foster changed the company name to Foster & Co. During the Civil War, he changed partners again to Martin Metcalf. Each of his tokens bear this stove, but his partner during the Civil War was Metcalf, not Parry.

Still interesting, but "off-topic". I guess I'm posting it to warn that not all tokens of the time were Civil War Tokens or Hard Times Tokens. They were common advertising methods of the time.
Attachments
Miller Mich 10 (1).jpg
Miller Mich 10 (2).jpg
Civil War Tokens
Morgan Dollars
Ancient Coins

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#130 Unread post by Daniel »

Nice coin and you never know what you might run into with these; so many were made.

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

#131 Unread post by mhonzell »

A NY630D-1a by George Glaubrecht.

Although purists point out that this piece is technically a maverick since the city is not named, there's not much doubt about Bang's location: a few years later, in 1866, the New York Times reported that his restaurant at 231 Broadway had been heavily damaged by fire. There's also a certain amount of quibbling about the name Glaubrecht. Some listings even refer to "Glaubrecht Rhine Wines." However, I think it's far more likely that this is the mark of George J. Glaubrecht, a NYC diesinker who struck other Civil War store cards and patriotic tokens.

"THE GREAT FIRE CORNER OF BROADWAY AND BARCLAY STREET, APRIL 6, 1866.
BURNING OF BANG*S BUILDING.

New York, April 6, 1866.
Messrs. Herring & Co., No. 251 Broadway:

Gentlemen — The Herring Patent Safe we bought of you a few years ago has just been dug out from the ruins of the recent extensive fire, corner of Broadway and Barclay street. Our building, No. 231 Broadway, where the fire originated, was entirely burnt out, and we had barely time to escape with our lives. The safe was exposed to intense beat, yet we are happy to inform you that everything it contained — books, papers, and" money — are good as new.

H. J. BANG,

No. 231 Broadway. " - Fighting Fire for Twenty-Six Years

This same building had burned down in 1854 when it was a clothing store killing 25. (10 Firemen)
April 25th, 1854.
19-760x576.jpg
Attachments
NY630D-1a (1).jpg
NY630D-1a (2).jpg
Civil War Tokens
Morgan Dollars
Ancient Coins

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#132 Unread post by Daniel »

Amazing history and how many partook in putting out the blaze!

PetesPockets55
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#133 Unread post by PetesPockets55 »

Neat!
Maybe he was a doctor on the side judging by the " hypodermic device" formed by the die crack running through the I of Rhine!
lol:

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

#134 Unread post by mhonzell »

Miller MA 20
This is another "tweener" Merchant Store token. Made between the time of Hard Times Tokens and Civil War Tokens. This token is larger than a modern quarter at ~28mm and made of brass. I found their advertisements in the 1847 Boston Alamac and 1848 Massachusetts State Record. The token is attributed as being made in ~1854.
Attachments
Miller MA 20 (1).jpg
Miller MA 20 (2).jpg
1g2b9v.png
Civil War Tokens
Morgan Dollars
Ancient Coins

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#135 Unread post by Daniel »

That is huge for a token and reminds me of one I sold a few years ago. I can't remember how large it was but it was thicker than a standard token.
Attachments
1863N&GtaylorPH.jpg
1863N&GtaylorPH2.jpg

PetesPockets55
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#136 Unread post by PetesPockets55 »

mhonzell wrote:......I found their advertisements in the 1847 Boston Alamanac....

Just curious if the old almanacs are hard to come by, because I got one (Boston- 1861 or 1862) at an estate sale about 3 years ago for 50C in a box lot. I never thought of using it to locate merchants mentioned on CWT. It makes for an interesting connection to the CWT tho.

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

#137 Unread post by mhonzell »

Daniel, that is an excellent token! Love those with Washington on them. Wishing I'd been there when you sold that one.

Cliff, I find these document through Google. Almost everything these days has been digitized making a search for a merchant a little easier. There are usually only one or two hits that lead to an old merchant unless something major occurred with them. As to having old documents on hand... I gather old British illustrated newspapers from the Civil War era, sometimes framing them. I have one with a hand drawn image of Lincoln sitting at the Ford Theater with John Wilkes Booth standing behind him. I also have a few bottles from the time when the merchants used to make their labels by embossing the glass instead of using paper.
Civil War Tokens
Morgan Dollars
Ancient Coins

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

#138 Unread post by mhonzell »

NY630BA-2a : G.M. Michnatt's Eagle Safe
I get the impression from reading up on this one that he was a distributor and not a manufacturer. Most documents refer to this business as being around in the 1890's. But, according to the American Journal of Numismatics (pg. 87, published 1867) this was listed as Business Card #258. (Yes, they collected and categorized coins and tokens way back then. :-) Seems that Jacob A. Michnatt owned the store in 1898.

The Scovill Manufacturing Company of Waterbury, Connecticut produced this advertising token. The Scovill Company was established in 1802 as a button manufacturer and is still in business today. Scovill was an early industrial American innovator, adapting armory manufacturing processes to mass-produce a variety of consumer goods including buttons, daguerreotype mats, medals, coins, and tokens.

The top photo (obverse) shows a butcher's mincing blade on a chopping block. The bottom photo (reverse) shows an Eagle Safe on casters. The actual safe was about 3' tall (as a reference to the device's dimensions.) It may look a little dirty, but this token is in great shape.
Attachments
NY630BA-2a (1).jpg
NY630BA-2a (2).jpg
Civil War Tokens
Morgan Dollars
Ancient Coins

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#139 Unread post by Daniel »

Nice.

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

#140 Unread post by mhonzell »

NY630T-1a by L. Roloff
As usual, most of his tokens are about the size of a quarter.

This one is a bit morbid...
J.J. Diehl probably took a hand in the internment of some deceased New York soldiers during the Civil War. Bodies were often shipped home from battlefields and hospitals for formal family ceremonies in local churches and cathedrals, like Saint Patricks in Manhattan. Sometimes relatives or funeral agents went south to battlefields, bringing bodies home by train for a local burial!

Seems a little spooky to have an undertaker's "coins" circulating as "currency" during a deadly Civil War which was killing your dearest friends and relatives.
Attachments
NY630T-1a (1).jpg
NY630T-1a (2).jpg
Civil War Tokens
Morgan Dollars
Ancient Coins