Civil War Tokens

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, POST IT HERE. Numismatic related posts only.

Moderator: Daniel

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Civil War Tokens

#71 Unread post by mhonzell »

I'm not sure it is the end of the roll. A close-up shows it to be fairly squared off.
Attachments
Straight Clip.jpg

Paul
Master Die Variety Examiner

#72 Unread post by Paul »

m,
i just saw the 2 'weak/shallow' stars @ the clip, thinking there might be a 'taper' to the planchet (end of strip) ??
C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

#73 Unread post by mhonzell »

Yes, those two stars are weak and on the other side, it is somewhat weak and a bit rough. It's difficult to determine if it is tapered on this end, but the strike does seem to indicate that it is. I think you may be correct on this one. I just didn't see the indicators you were seeing.

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

#74 Unread post by mhonzell »

F-34/276a
This is a product of the Shubael D. Childs' shop in Chicago and one of the rarest copper tokens using F-34 (Coronet, or Liberty Cap) as the obverse. Childs produced relatively few patriotic issues and those issues are generally scarcer than tokens from other manufacturers. As a result, the obverse is the Patriotic Die and the reverse is bordering on being a Store Card. But, no store is designated keeping this token in the Patriotic Token attribution.

The 277 reverse is very close to the 276 reverse used here but is much more common. The 276 issue can be determined by looking at the bottom of the C compared to the bottom of the A in CARD. In 277 the bottom of the C is about even with the bottom of the A but in 276 it is distinctly below. With coins, this might be considered a variety. But, with tokens, it is considered a separate combination since it is obvious that a different die has been used on the reverse.

If you see one of these offered, be very careful to make sure that it is accurately identified.
This one is graded as an AU50 and has a rarity of R-6, meaning there are estimated to be between 21 and 75. It is now the rarest token I own. (There are 7 graded and I've seen one raw, which may now be one of the 7 graded.)
Attachments
F-34-276a-50 (2).JPG
F-34-276a-50 (1).JPG

Paul

#75 Unread post by Paul »

mhonzell wrote:I'm not sure it is the end of the roll. A close-up shows it to be fairly squared off.
so no one gets 'clip-fused', m's coin is a "straight" clip, NOT a 'ragged' clip
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

#76 Unread post by mhonzell »

Other than the end of a roll, how would a straight clip occur?
Of course, you also have to remember, these tokens were not being produced at the mint. The process we think of today was not the process then, especially by these localized shops.

Paul

#77 Unread post by Paul »

i don't know the exact token/medal 'blank' making process from them.....i never had the need to 'study it',

:dunno sorry :dunno
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

#78 Unread post by mhonzell »

Found some information:

It is thought by most that a straight clip occurs by reaching the end of the roll and the circular punch overlaps this edge. This is a possibility, but... the actual end edge of the roll will show layering as a result of the process of rolling the metal to achieve the desired thickness. Any coin made from the edge will have the following appearance:
StraightClip-Edge.jpg
Instead, most straight clips are a result of the roll slipping backwards slightly as it settles after passing under the cutter creating a shorter piece of flat stock to be punched. Again, the circular punch overlaps this edge and creates the straight clip. This 'sheared' edge has a completely different appearance than the one above:
ShearedClip-Edge.jpg
Based on this, my straight clipped token would be the later type.
Again, a true clipped edge should exhibit the Blakesly effect. For a straight clip, this effect should be an even larger area of the rim on the opposite side from the clip. The tapering of the clipped edge may simply be a lack of metal flowing into the unfilled area during the strike. The rim should show tapering at the edge near the clip due to this metal flow. See the above two photos. (Very difficult to counterfeit.)

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#79 Unread post by Daniel »

Back then they used shears to cut the metal stock and sometimes planchets got punch-cut with these edges cut with shears. So a ragged edge clip is different then than it is now.

Paul

#80 Unread post by Paul »

LC EXAMPLE
hugeeyes
Attachments
1961 LMC SRC23.jpg
1961 LMC SRC24.jpg
1961 LMC SRC1 - Copy (2).jpg