1964 unc set special strikes

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, POST IT HERE. Numismatic related posts only.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
JackTomar
Coining Around

1964 unc set special strikes

#1 Unread post by JackTomar »

Can someone tell me how to identify a 1964 uncirculated set-special strike.

Thanks. Jack

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

Re: 1964 unc set special strikes

#2 Unread post by Daniel »

They have a smooth and satiny appearance and sharp, square edges with well struck and high relief details. It's believed that only 20-30 sets exists.

Paul
Master Die Variety Examiner

#3 Unread post by Paul »

are you reffering to "SMS"?.......the 'special mint sets'?
Attachments
SMS COINS.JPG
C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Unread post by Daniel »

I think he was but there are 1964 SMS sets but very few were minted.

JackTomar
Coining Around

#5 Unread post by JackTomar »

No not the special mints sets.

Jack.

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#6 Unread post by Daniel »

Then what special strike are you referring to?

Paul

#7 Unread post by Paul »

Daniel wrote:Then what special strike are you referring to?
d, maybe this?? :dunno
LINK
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#8 Unread post by Daniel »

I clicked on the link Paul and that's a misrepresenting auction title, this is not a special mint set, they're normal mint state coins. You only have the proof sets, mint sets and the rare special mint sets that almost all are accounted for and no more than 30 were minted for the then mint director.

dipper13
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#9 Unread post by dipper13 »

There were were some one of a kind special strikes of common coins that turned up in the national collection and were authenticated by NGC. They were gifts to the collection by mint officials. The feature article came in Coin World. Maybe that is what he is referring to??

dipper13
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#10 Unread post by dipper13 »

There were were some one of a kind special strikes of common coins that turned up in the national collection and were authenticated by NGC. They were gifts to the collection by mint officials. The feature article came in Coin World. Maybe that is what he is referring to??

JackTomar
Coining Around

#11 Unread post by JackTomar »

I would like to take this set to someone to advise me what it is. I am near Los Angeles, Who would you recommend.
I have been buying proof & unc sets from the mint every year , I wrote on the envelope
1964 unc set when I received it in the mail from the mint.

Thanks
Jack Tomar.

Paul

#12 Unread post by Paul »

JackTomar wrote:I would like to take this set to someone to advise me what it is. I am near Los Angeles, Who would you recommend.
I have been buying proof & unc sets from the mint every year , I wrote on the envelope
1964 unc set when I received it in the mail from the mint.

Thanks
Jack Tomar.
jack,
is this a "flat pak"?....like the one pictured below
Attachments
FLAT PAK EXAMPLE.jpg
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

jack tomar
Coining Around

#13 Unread post by jack tomar »

Daniel

Still having trouble trying to identify this 1964 unc set. I think it is a special strikes,The Whitman red book has them listed
in there 2015 Redbook,page 354. There not a 1964 unc p-d or 1964 Proof. I have them?
The last time I was on the forum November 15 someone named dipper said he thought he read an article about these sets in
coin world. Hope he reads this and could give me a little more info from that coin world paper.
In the 2015 Whitman Red book they have a picture of a 1967 SMS. My Set is packaged in the same Whitman plastic holder
with the five coins. In the 1967 SMS Set there is a blue cardboard around the coins to highlight them, It is printed on that
blue cardboard United States Special Mint Set. This is to highlight the coins. In my 1964 unc set there is no blue highlighter
saying what the set is. I ordered these from the mint myself, Maybe there was nothing in the 1964 unc set. Also again the 1964
is in a manila covered envelope with a number 182 38, The envelope was made for this Whitman plastic holder,same size.
The 1967 SMS set had a blue matching box made to fit the Whitman plastic holder. On the box is said UNITED STATES MINT SET
and the date 1967. Theres a picture of this 1967 set, Page 353 2015 Red Book. My 1964 set the coins are bright And shine but have a few small production scratchs on the Half Dollar. But the shine on my 1964 proof set is like a mirror, No comparison. Help.

jack tomar
Coining Around

#14 Unread post by jack tomar »

no.

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#15 Unread post by Daniel »

Can you post an image? It would help us actually see what you're seeing. Here's a Heritage commentary that might help a little http://coins.ha.com/itm/certified-moder ... 334-9514.s

Paul

#16 Unread post by Paul »

:eureka:
my 2013 RB
Attachments
DCP_1603.JPG
DCP_1602.JPG
DCP_1601.JPG
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

dipper13
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#17 Unread post by dipper13 »

The article in Coin World stated that Jeff Garrett was looking at modern coins in bins in the National Collection, and noticed the finish and patina on some were unlike any he had seen. He called Mark Saltzberg of NGC to confirm. When they reexamined the coins they found that they were one of a kind strikes, post 1950 and records showed that they were sent by the Philadelphia mint at various times as gifts to the Smithsonian. It was obvious that they were one of a kind coins and would be very valuable, because they were unique. It was the feature article one month, but I discard them after a new one arrives. It was within the past year.

jack tomar
Coining Around

#18 Unread post by jack tomar »

Thanks dipper 13

jack tomar
Coining Around

#19 Unread post by jack tomar »

it is not a flat pack.

jack tomar
Coining Around

#20 Unread post by jack tomar »

I have never posted an image. How do you do it.

Jack Tomar.

jack tomar
Coining Around

#21 Unread post by jack tomar »

I have got to go to work for a little while now. all try to get logged in later. Thanks.

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

#22 Unread post by mhonzell »

To post an image:
1. Select Reply to the post.
2. Click on Full Editor at the bottom of the text box.
Step 1.JPG
Step 1.JPG (10.89 KiB) Viewed 1945 times
3. In the area below the Submit button, select Browse to find your picture.
4. Click on Add the file.
Step 2.JPG
Done.
Civil War Tokens
Morgan Dollars
Ancient Coins

Coinage0
Coining Around

#23 Unread post by Coinage0 »

jack tomar wrote: Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:41 am Daniel

Still having trouble trying to identify this 1964 unc set. I think it is a special strikes,The Whitman red book has them listed
in there 2015 Redbook,page 354. There not a 1964 unc p-d or 1964 Proof. I have them?
The last time I was on the forum November 15 someone named dipper said he thought he read an article about these sets in
coin world. Hope he reads this and could give me a little more info from that coin world paper.
In the 2015 Whitman Red book they have a picture of a 1967 SMS. My Set is packaged in the same Whitman plastic holder
with the five coins. In the 1967 SMS Set there is a blue cardboard around the coins to highlight them, It is printed on that
blue cardboard United States Special Mint Set. This is to highlight the coins. In my 1964 unc set there is no blue highlighter
saying what the set is. I ordered these from the mint myself, Maybe there was nothing in the 1964 unc set. Also again the 1964
is in a manila covered envelope with a number 182 38, The envelope was made for this Whitman plastic holder,same size.
The 1967 SMS set had a blue matching box made to fit the Whitman plastic holder. On the box is said UNITED STATES MINT SET
and the date 1967. Theres a picture of this 1967 set, Page 353 2015 Red Book. My 1964 set the coins are bright And shine but have a few small production scratchs on the Half Dollar. But the shine on my 1964 proof set is like a mirror, No comparison. Help.

These "sets" were, in reality, merely assemblages of five coins, cent through half dollar, that were each in individual snap-tight clear plastic holders. None of the 1964 SMS "sets" were ever in any kind of official Mint packaging. We have counted only nine "complete" 1964 SMS five-piece sets that appeared at Stack's between 1991 and 1995. Numismatist and coin dealer Jesse Lipka recognized the "1964 SMS" coins as something special, and bought 80%-90% of all the sets that would appear at Stack's in the following few years.

this was an excerpt from heritage auctions on the official set

Paul

#24 Unread post by Paul »

:thumbsup: info,.... TY
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

PetesPockets55
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#25 Unread post by PetesPockets55 »

Yes indeed. Very good information. thank you!
ps. And Welcome to the forum. Hope to see you post some more.