1736-1936 Norfolk Commemorative

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, POST IT HERE. Numismatic related posts only.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

1736-1936 Norfolk Commemorative

#1 Unread post by mhonzell »

Since my search for the 1868 Shield Nickel die progression is on hold while I await the TPG encapsulation process to catch up, I've been looking at coins that bear various ships on them.

I came across this one and noticed a confusion of dates. The coin is celebrating the "Bicentennial" of the Borough of Norfolk... (I lived there for 8 years.) ...but, you have to really read the coin to determine that it is actually 200 years since the Borough was created. (Land Grant - 1636, Town - 1682, Borough - 1736, City - 1845)

So, WHY is the most prominent date on the coin 1636? (the Tricentennial of the Land Grant)

PS. The coin was actually struck in 1937.
Attachments
1936-mg05083r.jpg
1936-mg05083.jpg
Civil War Tokens
Morgan Dollars
Ancient Coins

Paul
Master Die Variety Examiner

Re: 1736-1936 Norfolk Commemorative

#2 Unread post by Paul »

marketing ??
a 1600's coin is worth more than a 1700's coin.....?
:dunno :dunno :dunno
C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#3 Unread post by Daniel »

I don't know but that's a nice coin!

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Unread post by mhonzell »

The 1930s were prolific with commemorative coins! So much so, the public actually complained and got them to cut back for a few years.

This coin was originally requested by the City of Norfolk as a means to raise funds for revamping the city. They couldn't get it to pass through Congress based on the Bicentennial of the Borough of Norfolk. But, when they pointed out 300 years of history (based on the Land Grant), Congress approved it. It was a public disaster. Nobody wanted the coin and only about 10,000 of the 25,000 ordered were actually made.

All this leads to a US coin that is not well known, not circulated and has a strange history making it worth quite a bit now.
Civil War Tokens
Morgan Dollars
Ancient Coins

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#5 Unread post by Daniel »

Love the history lessons, would love to have you write an article to publish on the website for these history lessons.

Jduval
Coining Around

#6 Unread post by Jduval »

I came across a similar coin. Its dated 1736. I have been researching but can only find info on the 1936 bicentennial. Anyone seen this before?
Thank.
Attachments
image.jpg

Paul

#7 Unread post by Paul »

:welcome:
C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep