Jump to topic

Re: Coin Newbie

:welcome:
by pahwa
Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:04 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Sorting Keepers From Spenders?

I am sorry I cannot help you with the grading question. Daniel or others on here will have much better help with that. But 173 pounds, what a great discovery. That reminds me, my mail carried was suppose to get with me with a bunch of pennies.. But anyway, great find, I wouldn't throw any out right ...
by Daniel
Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:06 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Toning or Wear?

You're better of comparing your coins to other MS coins that are graded and you can look up auctions at Heritage there's some high-res images there.
by Daniel
Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:07 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Also concentrate on the high points of the design.
by Daniel
Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:16 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Congrats on the Wide AM and yes coins with no wear would be UNC but they need to be MS67 and up to be worth saving.
by Daniel
Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:12 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Coin Newbie

Welcome!
by Paul
Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:36 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2011-D Jefferson Nickel DDR?

This appears to be "mechanical doubling" ... using these pictures here for attribution
by Daniel
Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:41 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Can't obtain wear in a jar and toning on copper doesn't mean wear nor does flatness. You want to compare to circulated coins, they will be rubbed with missing metal. You're welcome.
by pahwa
Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:50 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I guess I missed the fact that you found a wam. Awesome, congrats. I have been looking for a wam and cam for a long tme. You don't know how many resumed finds these guys said that weren't when I posted one I thought that was many years ago. I am still looking pennies a bazillion, me 0. I took a litt...
by Djaramillo2911
Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:08 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Wow.... How exciting!! You can never be bored or say you have nothing to do... Lol
I get excited just searching through a single penny roll!!!

Have fun with your findings
by BABAKAFSHAR
Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:46 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

You got it right so far. An AU coin is the one that has some minor wear on the high spots and can be without any dings or scratches and MS coin has no wear on high points but can have a lot of dings or contacts mark from other coins during the handling and... most important things in grading them is...
by Daniel
Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:21 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: High Points on the Lincoln Memorial Cent

Yes your coin is circulated and for those that don't know the OP made those lines on the coin and it is not a part of the actual coin.
by Paul
Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:46 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Grade series collection?

Collecting can be very personal. Of course when I started back in 1970 my interest was varieties. Not having a lot of money as a young child, I was forced to go with the lower denominations 1st. My specialty is Flying Eagle Cents, & Indian Head Cents.… Although my favorite coin, or I should say...
by Daniel
Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:38 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Good advice above!
by Daniel
Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:39 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Hazing on Coins

The albums can help cause this and I've seen it often but sometimes it is also how they're stored to create this reaction. I see many proofs come in my shop like this.
by Paul
Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:50 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

In time, if you study it long enough, you will have a secure grasp on the nature of "Toning". The surrounding environmental issues that come in contact with coins, (depending on what the outer surface of that coin is composed of), will 'tone' (colorize) the surface of that coin. All of th...
by bigphish68
Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:52 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I have often wondered the same thing. Is there a certain brand that is best to store and protect our hobby? I love albums to display my collection in. Are there a specific 2X2" flip that I should be looking for? Can anyone refer a distributor for supplies?
by Daniel
Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:49 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

It's how you store your coins more than anything and don't put uncirculated coins in folders. I buy from JP Corner, Wizard Coin Supply and Alco in Ohio.
by Daniel
Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:54 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I agree. I like your chart. Would be nice to use these like they are, then hover over the image and it pops up larger.
by Paul
Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:28 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

......... Just make sure that you are getting "Archival" storage media
by SensibleSal66
Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:10 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I'm with these guys on this one too. That stinks . Hang on to it for an Educational tool.
by Earle42
Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:43 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

MD_Push_DOubling_1957-D_MD_3D_Ray_Parkhurst_CCF.jpg
MD-Graphic_2.jpg
I put these here as public domain pics - feel free to download, store for reference, share, educate with, make into a wall mural, etc.
by Paul
Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:04 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: To dip or not to dip (not about snuff)

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm..............

Kinda looks like a painted/treated simulated cameo to me ??????
by Paul
Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:31 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: To dip or not to dip (not about snuff)

The lines on the neck you are seeing, are from minute scratches on the slab.... Remember that these slabs, from this TPG, are very thick..... See attached image Slow down and take a closer look at the images I posted, you can see that the fields on the obverse, have been painted/treated to make thi...
by Paul
Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:48 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Introduction to Coin Collecting - READ

This may be quite a bit of reading,......
but I think everyone should take the time and get through this.

This information was taken from the 5th edition of the Cherrypickers guide.
(You might need to copy these images to your device, and enlarge them to read the detail)
by karl.bursa
Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:47 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: An Example of Machine Doubling

Seriously excellent example. Thanks for posting!
by Earle42
Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:44 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Thanks for sharing :)
by SensibleSal66
Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:46 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Nice example . Thanks
by Daniel
Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:22 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Grading Copper Coins

Your always going to have issues with 2D images using real coins is the only true way to tell the difference.
by Daniel
Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:48 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Grading Fluke?

People collect low ball registry sets and they actively pursue low grade coins and 2004 is plenty long enough ago for wearing down a coin since 25 years is the average age for a coin.
by Daniel
Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:18 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2000-P Lincoln Cent "Wide AM" (FS-901)

At least you're finding something.
by SensibleSal66
Wed Nov 04, 2020 1:32 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2000-P Lincoln Cent "Wide AM" (FS-901)

Nice find . I went through 45 lbs of pennies . Didn't find any . Found two other errors though : ) !!
by SensibleSal66
Tue Nov 10, 2020 4:33 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Collecting Kennedy Half Dollars (Advice Needed)

quote: "Understand searching bank rolls can be the "enjoy the journey" route and buying a prepared lot is the more "direct" route"
Yea very much so. I prefer to do both if I was you . I'm eager to see what others choose though .
by Daniel
Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:12 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Watch A Computer Grade A Coin!

Watch our Artificial Intelligence program grade coins.

by Daniel
Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:41 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Buy them one coin at a time anytime you can find one, and just enjoy completing a collection.
by IdahoJ
Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:46 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I bought a folder went to the bank and got some rolls they had, it put a good dent in my album. I even got a couple silver. The rest were all common dates. I had fun doing it this way.