Search found 172 matches

Return

by Daniel
Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:05 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

1882 Morgan Dollar Macro Test

I got my macro lens for my new camera today and thought I would practice on the highest grade and raw Morgan Dollar I own. I will get better, but this is a nice coin.
by Daniel
Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:04 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Thanks for posts is BACK!

We can thank anyone for their posts again!
by Daniel
Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:59 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 1976 D Washington quarter mint mark error

This is not the result of die wear or die deterioration doubling it is the result of blunt force contact that slid across the mint mark and scraped the coin. We see this often.
by Amishjedi
Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:40 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Ring selfie light for coin photos ... it works!

I watched the same video and bought the same selfie ring and the 4" tubing he suggested - still playing with it, but works amazing w/my iPhone 12, so far (just placed it over my type set):
2009-S Sacagawea Dollar.jpg
1959 Franklin Half Dollar.jpg
1943 Steel Lincoln.jpg
by JTCC
Wed Jun 15, 2022 2:20 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Post your Lincoln cent album/collection!

I finally got access to my book and photographed it! Here it is. Enjoy. :)
Many coins in this book is about XF-AU, which is nice, but working towards a complete BU set.
Click on image to enlarge/see better.

I apologize for not so very good images.
by Savage
Thu Jun 16, 2022 3:36 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I haven't taken pictures of the big book/newer years. I should... but this was my father's. He passed away when I was very young but this little book is a small part that I have left of him and cherish. Unfortunately it's all I have left of his collection. I helped a girl out week of this last Chris...
by Matthudson
Sun Jun 19, 2022 12:07 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I'm in a bit of a financial slump at the moment, so buying and selling expensive coins is gonna have to wait. In the mean time, I finally sat down and started sifting, sifting, sifting through 20 folders of wheat pennies (sacrilegious terminology!) that my great-grandmother left behind to her daught...
by JTCC
Thu Jun 23, 2022 4:52 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Got this little thing for the book today, :banana-dance:
think I did ok for $65.
by Earle42
Thu Sep 01, 2022 8:34 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

PCGS grading challenge video - Critical Review...Did it fool you?

If there was no industry accepted measurement of how long a 1 foot ruler should be, then it would be impossible to talk about measuring something accurately or knowing the "right" measurement. Charley: The ruler I made shows this stick is 10 inches long. Ron: Yes, but the ruler I made show...
by Daniel
Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:50 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Is It Small Date Or Large Date?

If you're struggling with the difference between a large and small date for 1960, 1970, 1974 and 1982 Lincoln cents, then you need to watch this video!

by Earle42
Sat Jan 14, 2023 4:23 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 1939 rev of 40 DDO VP-001 Nickel

Nice pictures! And I agree...link please. Also...some helpful info... PCGS does not seem to have a handle on the easy way to tell the REV types for these (nor NGC - or any other source I could find). The only info they have to do it is concerning how to tell from the steps. Many times that area is t...
by Earle42
Fri Feb 03, 2023 2:18 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: To C.A.C., or not to C.A.C. this coin?

It depends on what you enjoy in the hobby. If you have fun with slabs and stickers, that is the way you enjoy the hobby. But the facts behind the current grading systems and stickers make me say don't waste the money if its not just for aesthetics or selling for higher profits. The facts are a coin ...
by Daniel
Sun Mar 26, 2023 2:29 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Should You Submit Your Coin For Grading?

Watch this video if you're thinking about submitting a coin for grading. Please DON'T post your coin in this topic asking about it.

by Daniel
Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:13 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 195X date strike error on last digit of year

This is a 1952 or 53 based on the curve of the damaged number's upper area, this was caused by an angled and sliding contact mark to the 2 in the date and over the years it has worn down from circulation. It happened early on in the cents life and why the patina is uniform all around. If this happen...
by JTCC
Fri Mar 31, 2023 11:11 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Unidentified Mint Error

Based on the reverse, this is post mint damage.
Another coin was squeezed against this coin, leaving a reversed imprint of that coin.
by Earle42
Sat Apr 01, 2023 2:42 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Super Incuse 1oz. Siler Maple Leaf - Coin Capsule Question

But removing any long-standing debris from the coin does expose metal that has oxidized at a different rate over time. This surface is typically lighter in tone and can easily be seen on dipped coins that were cleaned as done in the experiment. Paul once posted a picture of something like this, and...
by Earle42
Sun Apr 02, 2023 8:54 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Per (Dropped letter T)

I see NO dropped letter here and why would there be any? :think: :think: Because a dropped letter T is a possibility on a Lincoln penny. But it would have to be identical in size as one of the letter T used in the design. See error-ref.com and search for "dropped letter." I don't see one ...
by kwj93
Tue Apr 04, 2023 12:39 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 1993 Washington Quarter DDO-DDR

thank you i see what your saying have more coin to post.
by Paul
Tue Apr 04, 2023 11:41 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 1884 O Morgan Die Cracks

Keep in mind that "VAM's" are a die pair numbering system,...... This DOES NOT automatically make them a collectible variety/error.
by Earle42
Tue Apr 04, 2023 8:54 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2008 D Arizona Quarter. Missing clad layer?

Your coin is within tolerances - I inlcuded a chart for you. I suggest it is just a cup holder coin (or similar staining).
US Coins, weight Composition and Tolererances.jpg
Cup_Holder_Coin.png
by Earle42
Tue Apr 04, 2023 9:03 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Sample set of graded coins

When a coin is broken out and resubmitted even to the same company, the coin is never guaranteed the same grade again. Which is why they make a lot of money from the re-grading game people play hoping to get a "money grade." So although a set of graded slabs would look good, the coins in t...
by silviosi
Thu Apr 06, 2023 4:55 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 1923 peace dollar High relief

You has here the differences: IMHO your coin it not your wish. Analize:
by Earle42
Sat Apr 08, 2023 9:52 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 1990-D Quarter, 5.1 Grams and Smooth Edge

I agree.

This year and mint mark quarter is supposed to weight 5.67 grams and have a ribbed edge.

For this year there is a range it could fall within. Here is a tolerances chart for all US coins:
US Coins, weight Composition and Tolererances.jpg
by Earle42
Sun Apr 09, 2023 7:20 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 1977 quarter mint mark unknown weight 4.77g

A likely possibility:
Nitric_Acid_&_CoinsOPT290.jpg
Nitric_Acid_quarter_OPT209.jpg
The coin will take on various looks depending on how long it was in the acid. The above shows a quarter that was left long enough to remove the outer layers.
by Dutch-Tigger
Wed Apr 12, 2023 1:28 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 1909 V.D.B.

Just a fun fact to the "Dots" as most say when referring to them between V.D.B. or the "Dots" in "E PLURIBUS UNUM " they are called an Interpunct and it was used in Latin. The interpunct (interpunctus) was regularly used in classical Latin to separate words. In addition...
by Tanyaflowers77
Wed Apr 12, 2023 1:53 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

1997 Lincoln memorial Penny with spikes

I have a 1997 Penny no mint mark that has spikes coming off the tops of the letters and what appears to be drag marks, idk, does anybody know what these are? And there appears to be doubling on most letters, idk if it's machine or die? Please help!!!
by Paul
Wed Apr 12, 2023 5:59 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 1997 Lincoln memorial Penny with spikes

"PS. Paul, I understand what you are saying. Die trails tend to be one trail from a point on a device. These look more like shrink wrapping the plating. (Didn't we call these flow lines if they were out in the field? Probably not a plated coin term.)" Die Trails are a unique individual al...
by Iceresistance
Thu Apr 13, 2023 4:41 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 1982 P quarter. Why are there extra Ridge marks on the top edge of quarter and is the mint mark filled in

Collar Clash, and the P Mintmark either has a tiny die chip, or got smacked, NAV.
by Earle42
Thu Apr 13, 2023 7:39 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 1942 5c DDO

Curious on price . Understood when it really comes down to it it’s about what the seller wants and what the buyer pays . But if you look at the difference in prices from diff Grading companies because ANACS is a crappy guide to begin with I just was wondering a fair legitimate place to start . E ba...
by Daniel
Thu Apr 13, 2023 11:02 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Coin Help 2020 P Jefferson Nickel improper cladding?

Nickels are a solid alloy and are not clad.
by Paul
Fri Apr 14, 2023 9:57 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 1942 5c DDO

I do like the ANACS holders and in fact I like the old soap box holders . I don’t like their website guide . It seems congested and the searching isn’t always accurate This is just a FYI,............... I've always heard them referred to as a Soap "BAR" holder............... this came abo...
by Paul
Fri Apr 14, 2023 4:27 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 1983 1c die crack ? rev Linc Head outlined?

What you are seeing are clash remnants:
by Saintjhn
Sun Apr 16, 2023 2:36 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Possible proof? 1975 dime no s

My intention was not to convince anyone. I just appreciated the length you go to inform & educate many on youtube about coins & figured id get your opinion just to have different eyes take a look. Regardless... I appreciate your videos & i think you are one of the few on youtube who give...
by Daniel
Mon Apr 17, 2023 12:07 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Dimes DDO & DDR VS Machine Doubling ??

I wasn't trying to justify his action. It was out of the blue in this thread, so giving it some coherence. Which, your comment also clarifies. It is unfortunate that individuals like this cannot be blocked from making comments at all on the different forms of media. I didn't take it like that at al...
by BoogieMan
Mon Apr 17, 2023 4:11 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 1952-S Franklin 1/2 Dollar Odd Mintmark

... Boogieman looks around the room and passes the bottle. Cheers!

Let's keep the information flowing! I'll buy a round or two! I enjoy learning from others and debates tend to bring out more information and viewpoints.

Seriously, thank you all for helping! It is appreciated.
by Paul
Tue Apr 18, 2023 5:18 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 1999 Collarless Brockage pricing

I think the main category is just "Fishtail"........... but there are all kinds